For long-distance moves, a moving truck is a must. But even if you're just moving across town, renting a moving truck makes sense. Making multiple trips can be exhausting - not to mention the gas you'll use and the greenhouse gases your vehicle will emit on multiple trips. Reserve your truck at least two weeks in advance of moving day - Penske guarantees a truck for every reservation. A 12- or 16-foot truck works for moving a few large items or the contents of a small condo or apartment.
1. Pack in increments. Start early to avoid the stress of last-minute rushing. It's OK to leave a box open in case you need something you've packed inside it; it's much easier to tape a box shut on moving day than it is to pack at the last moment.
2. Buy sturdy boxes in a variety of sizes. Along with foam and bubble wrap to protect fragile items. You'll also need a good supply of packing tape and markers for sealing boxes. Make sure you have moving blankets and hand trucks on moving day to make the process easier.
3. Purge before packing. It's much easier to throw away, donate, sell or give away items that you don't need than it is to pack them and move them. As a rule of thumb, if you haven't used something in the past 12 months - or it's still packed in a box from the last time you moved - you can probably get rid of it.
4. Label boxes as you pack. First, list the room that the contents belong in, and, if necessary, a few details such as "glass," "fragile" or "dishes." As you load the truck, try to keep boxes from each room grouped together. Load the heaviest items onto the truck first to create a sturdy base, then start stacking on top.
5. Use a moving truck. Moving trucks are taller, wider and heavier than the passenger vehicles you are used to driving. They require more distance to stop. Be extra careful driving your moving truck, especially after it's loaded. Be aware of low-hanging tree branches and building overhangs, and use caution when cornering. Park only in well-lit areas and keep the rear door padlocked and the passenger compartment doors locked.
Finally, create a travel bag for moving day and keep important paperwork, credit cards, identification, a change of clothes, beverages and snacks close at hand. You can find more moving tips at PenskeTruckRental.com.
Content - ARA